Pencil Puppets - Children will love creating their own personalized pencil puppets to use in the classroom or to give as gifts.
An Activity for School-Age Children
- To reinforce shape recognition
- To encourage creativity and fine motor skills
- To create an amusing puppet decoration
Before You Start:
Gather craft foam in a variety of colors (poster board or recycled cardboard are also good options). Provide wiggly eyes, pipe cleaners, decorative collage items, scissors, pencils and Colorations® markers. You may prepare small bowls of Colorations® Washable School Glue ahead of time for the activity.
Draw any shape on a piece of paper and cut it out. Then, to create identical front and back pieces, trace the cut shape onto a sheet of craft foam in two places.
Cut out the shapes, making sure they are the same size.
Create a unique face on one side of one or both foam shapes with markers or other craft materials.
While making sure to leave a pencil-sized opening near the bottom, glue the two shapes together.
Once the glue has finished drying, perch your one-of-a-kind pencil puppet on top of a pencil!
The foam shapes can also be made into magnets to keep or use as gifts. Simply glue shapes together and omit the opening for pencils. Attach a small piece of magnetic strip to the back side and hang it up!
- Black Self-Adhesive Wiggly Eyes - Pack 100
- Foam Sheets, 9" x 12" - 30 Sheets
- Colorations® No.2 Pencils - Set of 12
- Assorted Colors Pipe Cleaners - Pack of 100
- 1.25 oz. Colorations® Washable School Glue
- Colorations® Marker & Crayon Combo Pack- 400 Pieces
- Peel & Stick Gems - 442 Pieces
- Bag of Pom Poms - 1 lb.
- Colorations® Blunt Tip Scissors, 5"L - 1 Pair
- Colorations® Acrylic Yarn- Set of 12
- Colorations® Easy Shake Glitter - Set of 12